Skip to main content

2008-2009 Movie List


Movies I Loved

Lest you think that my film tastes just run towards documentaries, historical miniseries, and foreign films, my top film of the year is…

1. The Dark Knight, aka the highest grossing, biggest, most-hyped movie of the year.  There wasn’t a cooler movie made this year.  Even though it was long, I wanted it to keep going.  I can’t think of a superhero movie I’ve ever liked more than this one.  There was so much hype leading up to the movie about how great Heath Ledger was, but I kind of figured it was just people making a big deal about him since he had died.  Wrong.  Ledger was what made this movie great for me.  His Joker goes down as one of the best bad guys in any movie ever (Darth Vader is still #1, of course)

2. Mongol – About five years ago my brother had the idea that he wanted to write a screenplay for a movie about Genghis Khan.  I thought it was a great idea – Khan is a fascinating figure, and you’d have to figure that all his exploits and battles would translate pretty well to the big screen.  Well, someone else apparently thought so too.  This is another movie that at first glance might seem kind of dull (a subtitled movie in Russian about a historical figure), but there is nothing dull about it.  First of all, the cinematography of the Mongolian steppe is absolutely beautiful.  But first and foremost, this is a great action movie – sort of a Braveheart-type movie, but without having to deal with Mel Gibson.  This is actually part one of a trilogy, and it follows Genghis Khan from his youth to his rise to power.  I can’t wait for the next two.

3. American Teen (documentary) – What is the difference between the many MTV reality shows following the lives of teenagers, which I hate, and something like this, a documentary following the lives of four Indiana high school seniors, which I loved?  I’m not sure I can completely put my finger on it, but it probably has to do with being able to see a longer arc that has been edited together in a more cohesive story.  I haven’t talked to anyone else that has seen this, but I’m hoping that by putting it this high on the list a few of you will check it out.  I think almost any high school teacher will immediately recognize similarities between these kids and the kids we teach, and maybe even get a bit of insight into their lives. Very moving at times, but also very entertaining.

4. Step Brothers – I will admit that probably every other movie in my top 20 is a better movie than this.  But, this is a list of how much I enjoyed the movies, and there wasn’t a movie I laughed harder at all year.  Will Ferrell is king. 

5. Slumdog Millionaire – What a beautiful movie.  It seems so funny to me that this movie became such a commercial and cultural success, but it is encouraging to see a movie that has so much character become such a big hit.  This movie was directed by Danny Boyle, who also directed Trainspotting and 28 Days Later.  Those three movies couldn’t be any more different, but they are all great movies for their genre.  It will be interesting to see what he does next after winning Best Picture.

6. John Adams – this was an HBO miniseries based on the David McCullough book.  I really enjoyed the book, but the series did an amazing job of being faithful to the book but the acting is so good it adds layers of depth to the characters that you don’t fully capture just from reading.  Both Paul Giamatti and Laura Linney won Emmeys for their portrayals of John and Abigail Adams, and they were so deserving.   Maybe even better is Tom Wilkinson (Michael Clayton) who steals every scene he’s in as Ben Franklin.  Probably my favorite historical miniseries since Band of Brothers.

7. Tell No One – Have you ever noticed that in a subtitled movie, if the movie is really good you completely forget it is subtitled because you’re so engrossed in the story?  This is a great example of that.  This was the most suspenseful, mysterious movie I watched all year.  I don’t really want to tell you anything about the movie, because there are a bunch of twists, and part of the joy of watching it is trying to figure out what is happening as the movie unfolds.  So I’m not going to summarize anything about the plot, other than to say rent it soon. 

Movies I Really Enjoyed

8. The Counterfeiters – Like The Pianist (#50), this movie is set during the holocaust in a concentration camp.  The DVD sat on my kitchen counter for a couple of weeks because it was a movie I felt like I should watch, but didn’t really want to.  But unlike The Pianist, I was totally captivated by this.  The main character is an expert counterfeiter, but gets captured by the Nazis and thrown in a concentration camp.  But he’s lucky – because of his skill, he gets assigned to much nicer living quarters and is fed well because he is in charge of the Nazi scheme to produce counterfeit foreign currency.  The dilemma of these prisoners is whether or not to actually make the currency, which will help the Germans, or to sabotage the efforts, which will result in them being killed.  Very powerful, but very watchable too.  Based on a true story.

9. Tropic Thunder – so many funny parts and so many funny performances in this movie.  Danny McBride is good here, Ben Stiller is funny, and Robert Downey jr. is amazing as a character actor who gets so into his role he actually has his skin darkened to play a black man.  The premise of the movie is that a bunch of actors start filming a war movie, but then get lost, and end up in a real conflict.  Hilarious throughout.

10. JCVD – What were the odds that Jean-Claude Van Damme would make a serious movie that doesn’t involve any action or fighting, do a good job, AND that the movie would be really good?  It probably helps that he is playing a washed up version of….Jean Claude Van Damme, as he gets caught up in a robbery gone wrong.  This has some similar qualities to The Wresler – both Rourke and Van Damme essentially play themselves, and we see the toll that celebrity and fading from celebrity has taken on their lives, but I liked this so much more.

11. Burn After Reading – The Cohen brothers make great movies.  They’re capable of making terrific serious films like No Country for Old Men, but my favorites have actually been some of their comedies, like Raising Arizona, and especially The Big Lebowski.  This isn’t as good as Lebowski, but it is very fun in a dark Cohen brothers kind of way.  John Malkovich plays an angry man better than anyone.  No matter how many times I see him play essentially the same role, I never get tired of seeing him berate and drop f-bombs on the poor fool that crosses him. 

12. Let the Right One In – As noted before, I have a thing for vampire movies.  Well, this was the best Swedish vampire movie I saw all year.  This is the kind of movie Twilight wishes it could be.  It actually has some of the same plot lines – a teen/pre-teen that struggles with being a vampire and wanting to have a friendship/relationship with a human and the struggles that come with it.  It’s sympathetic to the plight of the vampire girl without romanticizing it like Twilight does.  Much darker, much more interesting, and bloodier too. 

13. Flight of the Conchords – This was actually the entire season one of the HBO series about a couple of guys from New Zealand that are in an unsuccessful band.  The humor is very dry, and it took me a couple of episodes to get into it, but now I can’t wait for season 2 to come out on DVD.  If you’re looking for a series to watch over the summer, watch a couple episodes and you’ll be hooked.

14. Body of Lies – Very entertaining action-thriller set in the Middle East.  I’m not a huge fan of Russell Crowe or Leo DiCaprio, but in the right movie they both can be good.  The pacing of the movie is great – it’s not a “non-stop action” flick, but it never slows down either. 

15. Wanted – I was so excited for this movie.  It was directed by a Russian guy that directed Night Watch and Day Watch, two really unique but awesome Russian vampire movies.  I’ve never been able to convince anyone to watch either of those movies, even though they are some of the most visually interesting movies I’ve seen in the last 5 years.  So I couldn’t wait to see this guy’s American film debut, and it looked great in previews.  And it does look great throughout.  The guy’s visual style is amazing, and it was cool to see what he did with a big budget movie with Morgan Freeman and Angelina Jolie as part of a secret society of assassins.  The only problem is the story isn’t that great.  It never rises above the typical action flick in terms of plot and storytelling, but it’s still worth watching because it looks so good.

16. The Rocker – Probably the biggest pleasant surprise on my list.  I rented it figuring it would be a good, short movie that would be pleasant enough to watch, sort of like a Yes Man or Get Smart type movie.  And it pretty much is, but what made this great for me was Rainn Wilson, aka Dwight Schrutte.  I figured he would have difficulty carrying a movie, but if you like Dwight on The Office, there’s no way you won’t enjoy this.

Good Movies

17. Quantum of Solace – Let’s face it – the new James Bond would kick the old James Bond’s butt.  I was never a huge fan of the earlier Bond movies, but I’ve thoroughly enjoyed the last two.  Daniel Craig is sooo different from the Pierce Brosnan-style James Bond, and it is exactly what the series needed to become interesting again.

18. Hamlet 2 – I thought this was a great premise for a movie.  A failed actor turned high school drama teacher who is about to lose his job because of budget cuts decides to stage an epic production of….Hamlet 2.  Doesn’t everyone die in Hamlet?  Yes, but that’s nothing Jesus and a time machine can’t fix.  Some parts are pretty by the numbers, but I couldn’t stop smiling throughout the movie.  It also contains the best movie song of the year: Rock Me Sexy Jesus.  Very fun.

19. Iron Man – Terrific entertainment.  Really it was everything a good summer blockbuster should be, while not being totally mind-numbing.  A lot of the reviews of it I read last summer made me think it would be “more” than just a superhero movie, which I didn’t agree with.  I thought it was nothing more than a well-made superhero movie, and that’s a good thing.

20. Hellboy 2 – Guillermo Del Toro is a fantastic director.  Pan’s Labyrinth was near the top of my list last year after I watched it again on DVD.  What makes this cool are the creatures.  Any movie with a decent budget these days can have scary-looking creatures, but the monsters in Del Toro’s movies are unique – scary, but imaginative and artistic in a way I’m not used to seeing anywhere else.

Watchable

20. Forgetting Sarah Marshall – Several people told me they didn’t like this, but I laughed pretty hard throughout.  The plot summary doesn’t sound all that great – a guy is dumped by his actress girlfriend, then goes on vacation in Hawaii and ends up being in a room next too….the girl who just dumped him, meanwhile he falls for a girl that works at the hotel.  But with most Judd Apatow movies there are lots of really funny parts, lots of really crude parts, and the actors in his regular group (Jason Seigal, Jonah Hill) are great.

21. The Pineapple Express – this movie was billed as a stoner action comedy, which doesn’t sound that appealing, but I thought this was pretty funny.  The best scenes were the ones with Danny McBride.

22. Be Kind Rewind – The premise of this movie is pretty silly – Jack Black becomes magnetized, and accidentally erases all of the videotapes at the store his buddy (Mos Def) works at.  So the two of them set out to re-film their own versions of all the movies from memory.  Not a classic, but entertaining.

Kids movie section – I’m not including some of the stuff I watched repeatedly, like Elmo’s Pets or Pokemon Challenge – those don’t count as real movies.  And I hate them.  But these movies were all kids movies that I enjoyed watching.

23. The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian – I loved the Chronicles of Narnia books when I was a kid, and thoroughly enjoyed re-reading all of them with my oldest son this past year.  The first two movie adaptations have been pretty faithful to the books, although neither of them fully captured the magic of the books.  This one is a little dark and violent for a kids movie, which seems kind of stupid, considering the audience is….kids.  Despite all that, I really enjoyed watching it.

24. The Tale of Despereaux – Pleasant surprise – the story of an adventurous mouse that befriends a princess after getting kicked out of the mouse city for not being sufficiently scared of things.  My 4 year old and 8 year old both loved it, and I was entertained too.  My 4 year old and 8 year old also think that Scooby Doo and the Witches Ghost is highly entertaining, so maybe that isn’t a ringing endorsement.

25. Horton Hears a Who – The other versions of Dr. Seuss movies that were made into full length movies weren’t so good – The Grinch and The Cat in the Hat aren’t exactly a high bar to jump over, but this is much better.  Is it as good as the sing-a-long version of The Lorax that I show to my Ecology class at the start of every school year?  No, but what is, really?

26. Hancock – This starts out as a pretty good movie, where Jason Bateman plays a struggling p.r. guy who tries to help a superhero no one really likes (he’s a drunk, and breaks lots of stuff) fix his image.  But then halfway through the movie there’s a weird twist, and it ends up being a very different, and not quite as good, movie.  It was still entertaining, but probably would have been better if they’d just stuck to the premise of the first half of the movie.

27. Semi-Pro – I love almost anything Will Ferrell is in (see # 4 ).  I Loved him on Saturday Night Live.  I love the skits he does on Funny or Die (if you haven’t watched Bat Fight on Youtube, it’s worth checking out).  His only semi-serious movie, Stranger Than Fiction was number one on this list 3 years ago.  The only exceptions have been Kicking and Screaming, and Blades of Glory.  This was better than those, certainly not in the league with Anchorman or Old School, and not even as good as Talladega nights, but there were still plenty of parts to laugh at if you’re a Will Ferrell fan.

Watchable only in the right mood

28. Yes Man - One of those movies where I pretty much knew what to expect, and I thought it looked pretty funny in the previews.  It wasn’t bad really.  I just don’t understand why everyone thinks Zoey Deschannel is so great.  She isn’t really very funny, she’s not unattractive, but she’s nothing special, and she always seems to play the quirky girlfriend, but ends up not being all that interesting.  Jim Carrey isn’t exactly lighting the world on fire either.

29. Get Smart – If you think Steve Carrell from The Office is funny, there’s a decent chance you’ll think this is funny.  Nothing memorable, but when I was done with watching it I was in a good mood.  That’s certainly more than I can say for the Watchmen.

30. Disturbia – Shia Lebouff is under house arrest.  Fortunately he’s got a hot neighbor and a potential serial killer for his neighbors.  Actually pretty entertaining.

31. The Wrestler – This was a good movie.  Mickey Rourke is amazing in this role – really, really good, and for that reason alone it is worth seeing.  I just didn’t enjoy watching it very much.  I have a hard time watching movies where people are totally self-destructive and there isn’t any kind of redemption for them.  It’s not that I need every movie to have a happy ending – it’s just that when I turned this one off, my first reaction was “Well, that was depressing”, which is usually not what I’m shooting for in a rental.

32. The Watchmen – I have no idea where to put this on the list.  I didn’t really like it.  But it is definitely an interesting, complex movie that is really cool to watch at times.  It also has some long, boring stretches.  And it is hands down the most violent movie on this list.  I rarely mind violence in movies, but this was just so over the top that it takes away from the film.  I’m guessing this is one of those movies people either love or hate.  I’m a lot closer to the hate side.

33. Nick and Norah’s Infinite Playlist – I thought this was going to be sort of a cool, edgie Indie movie with lots of good music.  It wasn’t bad, but it was a lot more formulaic than I thought it would be, and the music wasn’t anything to get excited about.
34. The Foot Fist Way – I wish I liked this movie more than I did.  It stars Danny McBride, the new member of the Will Ferrell comedy group, and also the star of the new HBO series Eastbound and Down, which I can’t wait to watch when it comes out on DVD.  He plays a total loser Tai Kwan Do instructor in a strip mall.  It has some great parts.  McBride plays the part perfectly.  But he is such a hateful loser that it just made me cringe most of the time.  McBride (Tropic Thunder, Land of the Lost, Pineapple Express) looks like he is going to be a lot of fun to watch in the next few years.

35. Sunshine Cleaning – Not really a great date night movie, especially when you are expecting it to be a comedy, and it ends up being a downer slice of life flick.  I had really high expectations since it was made by the people who made Little Miss Sunshine, and the acting was pretty good, the character development was good, it just wasn’t that much fun to watch.  On DVD with low expectations I probably would have liked it.
36. Twilight – Haven’t read the books, but I figured I should probably figure out what all the fuss is about.  I am a sucker for pretty much anything involving vampires – I’m not sure why, but I’m fascinated by most movies and books involving them.  This one involves way too much of the main characters staring at each other and admiring how beautiful they are.  Maybe if I’d read the books I could have understood what’s so great about Bella and Edward, because in the movie they just seem like a couple of overly dramatic teenagers, one of whom happens to be a vampire. 

37. The Last Man on Earth – Last year I saw the movie I Am Legend.  It was #26 on the list, but just felt like it could have been much better.  So I read the book, by Richard Mathwick, and it was great.  A better story, and the ending – one of the week points of the movie – was soooo much better and in line with the tone of the rest of the book.  Then I found out that I Am Legend was actually the third movie adaptation of the book.  This one sounded great – a 1960’s version, starting Vincent Price, and much more faithful to the original book.  Only one problem – this version was a bore too.  I know there are some of you that like old movies, but I swear, so many of the older movies (basically 1970’s or earlier) that people tell me are classics just aren’t that good.  The acting is horrible in this – comically bad, really, and Vincent Price’s narration couldn’t be any more heavy-handed.  So I’m 0-2 on I am Legend adaptations.  Should I watch Omega Man, starring Charleton Heston to complete the trifecta?  I’m guessing no, but I probably will.

38 & 39. Jackass & Jackass 2 – I feel guilty even admitting I watched both of these movies.  There is absolutely nothing redeeming about them.  If you don’t like watching stuff like people letting themselves get gored by a bull or going into a hardware store and taking a dump in one of the display toilets, then you probably shouldn’t watch this type of movie. 

40. Vantage Point – the guy who plays Jack on Lost (as far as I’m concerned, he no longer has a real name) is a secret service agent, or maybe Dennis Quaid is – or maybe both of them are – I don’t remember.  They both witness a bombing and an assassination attempt on the president, as does Forrest Whittaker, who videotapes it as a spectator in the crowd.  The movie re-tells the story from each of their perspectives to try to unravel what happened.  Sort of a cool idea, which made for a good trailer, but only a mediocre movie.

41. Dan in Real Life – This movie has Steve Carrell in it, and I like him.  It has Dane Cook in it.  I don’t like him.  And I’m pretty sure I’ve seen a dozen or so movies just like this one, and many of them were a lot better.  I didn’t mind watching it, but I have completely forgotten what actually happens in the movie, and that should tell you how memorable it is.

42. Son of Rambow – Two kids decide to make a sequel to Rambo using their own hand-held video camera.  It got good reviews, and several people recommended it to me, but I just couldn’t get into it.

43. Next – Unmemorable film starring Nicholas Cage as a guy who can see parts of the future, but only ONE HOUR in advance, because, well, otherwise the plot wouldn’t have worked as well.  Also stars Jessica Biel, who can’t act, but is really hot.  She also happens to be from Boulder, CO, which is where I’m from, although the only time I ever saw her was when she sat in front of me at the movie Titanic.  She wasn’t very famous then, but she was on the TV show 7th Heaven.  How’s that for a random celebrity sighting.

44. Harold and Kumar Go To White Castle – Even though I knew this would be totally sophomoric, I expected to enjoy it a little more than I did.

45. Spaced: Season One – BBC series staring Simon Peg, the guy from Hot Fuzz and Shawn of the Dead.  It wasn’t bad, but I just couldn’t get interested in it. 

Bad Movies or Movies I just didn’t like
46. Appaloosa – I used to love Westerns, but I can’t remember the last Western I really liked.  Unforgiven or Tombstone, maybe?  Renee Zellweger and Ed Harris play the leads in this unwatchable movie. When Zellweger was in Jerry McGuire, for some reason I thought she was incredibly hot.  After watching this I’d have to say Ed Harris is better looking.

47. Six Degrees That Could Change the World (National Geographic)  and The 11th Hour (Narrated by Leonardo DiCaprio)– Movies about global warming.  I watched most of these movies hoping one of them would be worth showing in class.  You’d be better off just watching An Inconvenient Truth.

48. The Proposition – This is an obscure Australian movie starring Guy Pierce.  I saw it because  I read The Road by Cormac McCarthy last summer, which I loved, and heard it was being made into a movie, which was directed by the same guy that directed this movie.  Don’t bother.
49. Jumper – The lead character in this movie is the guy who played Annakin Skwalker badly in the newer Star Wars movies.  I figured maybe part of the reason he seemed like a bad actor is that he had to try to act in front of a giant bluescreen with a CGI Jar Jar Binks running around, something that made even Natalie Portman (one of my favorites) seem like a bad actor.  This movie confirmed that Hayden Christiansen is, in fact, truly a bad actor. 
 
50. The Pianist – I’m pretty sure this movie won a bunch of awards and is actually pretty good, but I just couldn’t get interested in watching it.  I only watched the first half, and it seemed like I’d already seen 5 or 6 similar movies, and didn’t feel like watching the rest.  I can’t think of any movie that Adrien Brody’s been in that I liked, either. 

Movies I hated
51. Shoot ‘Em Up – I don’t remember much about this movie except it is really violent, and had no point.  One of those movies where I can’t imagine anyone watching it and saying they actually enjoyed it.

52. Before the Devil Knows You’re Dead – If you enjoy depressing, boring movies, then this is for you.  I used to think Phillip Seymour Hoffman was one of those actors who was so good he could make anything he was in watchable (case in point: Along Came Polly).  Considering he’s the star of 2 of my 4 least favorites of the year, I guess I can’t say that anymore.

53. The Happening - For some reason I seem to have directors that I like, and then decide to watch their movies even if I hear people say they aren’t good.  In this case, M. Night Shamalayan is the director, and an interesting fact about him is that every movie he’s made has been worse than the movie before it.  In order, they are 6th Sense, Unbreakable (underrated), Signs, The Village (his first truly bad movie), Lady in the Water, and now The Happening.  If I explain to you that the key plot element of this movie is that plants are releasing compounds into the air that make people kill themselves in gruesome ways, I think you know all you need to about the film.  I’m not sure how his next movie could get any worse.

54. Synecdoche, New York – I’ve always loved the style of Charlie Kaufman movies.  They’re all very strange, but in an interesting way.  Adaptation and Eternal Sunshine would both be in my “Movies I Loved” category, and Being John Malkovich wouldn’t be far behind.  Which is probably why this movie made me angry.  It’s never interesting – just weird.  Not to mention depressing.  I’m pretty sure that by the end of this film no one involved with the whole thing even knew what was going on.

55. Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull – Only a couple of movies I watched this year actually made me angry, and this one topped the list.  Raiders of the Lost Ark is among my 10 favorite movies of all time, so I really wanted to enjoy it.  This was the rare kind of sequel that is so bad it makes you actually question if the original was actually any good, or if the only reason you liked it was nostalgia.  Now when I watch Raiders for the first time with my son, I’m going to have to try to block out anything related to this version so I don’t permanently ruin the original.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2023/2024 Movie List

  A complete ranking of every movie I watched in the last calendar year (starting in June). 44. 65 65 is a sci-fi adventure starring Adam Driver as an astronaut that crash lands on a distant planet that looks a lot like Earth, only with dinosaurs. It turns out that the planet actually is Earth! It turns out Driver and his companion (a 12 year old girl whose family is killed when the ship crashes) are actually from a distant planet 65 million years ago, and they happened to crash on Earth. And they also look, talk, and act exactly like modern humans. What are the odds?! It’s the type of movie where Driver and the girl don’t speak the same language, but after a day of hiking together she basically understands and can talk in English, just in short, grammatically incorrect sentences. The kind of movie where people get pierced by metal and thrown against rocks by giant dinosaurs, but are able to shake it off and heal a couple minutes later. I shouldn’t have been surprised because I kind o

2022/2023 Movie List

  2023 was a good year for watching movies and shows. I watched a total of 52 movies this year, and more than 40 of them were ones I enjoyed. There were also a dozen different shows that I watched this year, and for the first time I ranked the shows as well.  On to the list! 50. I only have 49 new movies on the list this year, but the type of person that would rank every movie they watch is also the type of person that would much rather have their list start at 50 instead of 49, so I’m going to use this spot to mention the Best Picture nominees that I didn’t see this year. I watched 7 of the 10 nominees, but the ones I didn’t see were:  1) The Fablemans, which I’ve heard was decent, but really just did not look interesting at all to me. 2) Avatar, which I wanted to see in the theater, but never got around to it, and 3) Women Talking, which says right in the title, is about people sitting around talking, which does not seem like it could possibly be entertaining. I’ll probably watch al

2006-2007 Movie List

  Really Good Movies 1) Stranger Than Fiction – I’ve only found a couple people that like this as much as I do, but I love Will Ferrell, and thought this was a really creative movie. 2. The Departed 3. Munich 4. Babel – Except for the parts in Japan –I thought that girl was creepy. 5. The Office: Season One.   I didn’t get into this show until the end of the first season, so this was a great way to get caught up.   Best comedy on TV since Seinfeld.   Good movies – the movies in this category aren’t totally in order, but I liked all of them. 6. 40 year old virgin 7. Déjà vu 8. Fight Club (I’d already seen it) 9. Anchorman (ditto) 10. Undeclared – TV series by Jud Apatow, the guy that did 40 year old virgin, Freaks and Geeks, Anchorman, Knocked Up, etc. 11. The Constant Gardener 12. The Chronicles of Narnia 13. Thin Red Line 14. Grizzly Man 15. Glory Road 16. Minnesota Twins World Series Highlights – does it get any better than game 6 of the ’9