Skip to main content

2006-2007 Movie List

 
Really Good Movies
1) Stranger Than Fiction – I’ve only found a couple people that like this as much as I do, but I love Will Ferrell, and thought this was a really creative movie.
2. The Departed
3. Munich
4. Babel – Except for the parts in Japan –I thought that girl was creepy.
5. The Office: Season One.  I didn’t get into this show until the end of the first season, so this was a great way to get caught up.  Best comedy on TV since Seinfeld.
 
Good movies – the movies in this category aren’t totally in order, but I liked all of them.
6. 40 year old virgin
7. Déjà vu
8. Fight Club (I’d already seen it)
9. Anchorman (ditto)
10. Undeclared – TV series by Jud Apatow, the guy that did 40 year old virgin, Freaks and Geeks, Anchorman, Knocked Up, etc.
11. The Constant Gardener
12. The Chronicles of Narnia
13. Thin Red Line
14. Grizzly Man
15. Glory Road
16. Minnesota Twins World Series Highlights – does it get any better than game 6 of the ’91 series? 
17. Hustle and Flow
18. To Kill a Mockingbird – I’d never seen this one.  Good, but the book is better.
19. District 13
20. NBA’s Nastiest Dunks
21. Serenity
22. Human Nature – early Charlie Kaufman movie – not as good as say, Eternal Sunshine, or Adaptation, but still amusing and interesting.
23. Walk the Line
24. Capote
25. Syrianna – It seemed like it was better than it actually was.
26. Cache – creepy French movie
27. Over the Hedge – great kids movie
28. The New World – I didn’t think much of the plot, but I thought it was one of the more beautifully filmed movies I’ve ever seen.  One of my friends thought it was one of the worst movies he’d ever seen.  Go figure.
29. Africa – The Serengeti (Imax documentary)
30. Flight 93.  I meant to rent United 93, but got this (a TV movie) instead.  It was still REALLY powerful.
31. Thank You for Smoking
32. The Prestige
33. Children of Men
 
OK movies – in the right mood, these could be entertaining
34. Jarhead
35. King Kong
36. The Island
37. Lord of War
38. Red Eye
39. Flight Plan (I’m pretty sure these two are the same movie)
40. A History of Violence
41. Good Night and Good Luck
42. The Weatherman
43. Shopgirl
44. Four Brothers
45. Curse of the Golden Flower – same guy that made Hero and Flying Daggers, but not nearly as good a movie.
46. Superman Returns
47. The Brothers Grim
48. Bullitt – old time Steve McQueen – pretty fun, actually – awesome cars.  I should have put this higher, but I don’t feel like re-typing the numbers.
49. Blood Diamond
50. The Good Shepherd
51. Miami Vice
52. Broken Flowers – only this high because of Bill Murray – this was the slowest movie ever.
53. Who Killed the Electric Car – not entertaining in any way, but interesting.
54. Days of Heaven – Another Terrence Malik film – beautiful to watch, but the story wasn’t great, the narration is grating, and the star is Richard Gere.
55. Boogie Nights – I just never got into this movie, even though everyone told me how great it was.
56. The Puffy Chair
57. Da Vinci Code.  Maybe I would have liked it more if I’d read the book.  I thought Tom Hanks was AWFUL in this, and he had a mullet.
58. X-Men Last Stand
59. Ju Dou – directed by the guy that made Hero and Flying Daggers, but no fighting.  Very disappointing (to me at least).
60. The Devil’s Backbone – actually this should be much higher.  It’s by Guillermo Del Toro, who Directed Pan’s Labyrinth, one of my favorite movie’s of the past year.  This is interesting, but not nearly as good, and a little too depressing to be in the “good” category.
 
Bad Movies
61. Riding Alone for 1,000s of  Miles – same guy that directed 59.  This time I realized after 15 minutes there would be no fights, and stopped watching.  See, I do learn!
62. American Movie – One of my friends that has similar tastes in movies recommended this, but it was so boring I stopped watching after ½ an hour.  Sorry Mark.
63. Flags of Our Fathers – I think this is one of those movies people thought they should give good reviews to, just so they wouldn’t seem unsophisticated.  How is it possible to make a war movie this boring?
64. The Quiet American – I think this got good reviews, but when a movie puts me to sleep, you know it’s slow.
65. Matchpoint – Another one that got good reviews, but I absolutely hated.  It wasn’t funny.  It wasn’t entertaining.  It wasn’t interesting.  What’s the point in watching it?
66. Benchwarmers
67. School For Scoundrels – Jon Heder (aka Napoleon Dynamite) is in both of these movies, and they both were awful.  I wonder how many more movies he’ll be able to do a lamer version of the Napoleon Dynamite character before people stop hiring him.
 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2023/2024 Movie List

  A complete ranking of every movie I watched in the last calendar year (starting in June). 44. 65 65 is a sci-fi adventure starring Adam Driver as an astronaut that crash lands on a distant planet that looks a lot like Earth, only with dinosaurs. It turns out that the planet actually is Earth! It turns out Driver and his companion (a 12 year old girl whose family is killed when the ship crashes) are actually from a distant planet 65 million years ago, and they happened to crash on Earth. And they also look, talk, and act exactly like modern humans. What are the odds?! It’s the type of movie where Driver and the girl don’t speak the same language, but after a day of hiking together she basically understands and can talk in English, just in short, grammatically incorrect sentences. The kind of movie where people get pierced by metal and thrown against rocks by giant dinosaurs, but are able to shake it off and heal a couple minutes later. I shouldn’t have been surprised because I kind o

2022/2023 Movie List

  2023 was a good year for watching movies and shows. I watched a total of 52 movies this year, and more than 40 of them were ones I enjoyed. There were also a dozen different shows that I watched this year, and for the first time I ranked the shows as well.  On to the list! 50. I only have 49 new movies on the list this year, but the type of person that would rank every movie they watch is also the type of person that would much rather have their list start at 50 instead of 49, so I’m going to use this spot to mention the Best Picture nominees that I didn’t see this year. I watched 7 of the 10 nominees, but the ones I didn’t see were:  1) The Fablemans, which I’ve heard was decent, but really just did not look interesting at all to me. 2) Avatar, which I wanted to see in the theater, but never got around to it, and 3) Women Talking, which says right in the title, is about people sitting around talking, which does not seem like it could possibly be entertaining. I’ll probably watch al

2009-2010 Movie List

For those of you I haven’t sent this to before, this is my fifth annual ranking of every movie I watched in the past year.   For me, the calendar year starts at the beginning of the summer and runs through the end of the school year.   The list isn’t necessarily ranked by how good a movie is, but rather how much I enjoyed watching the movie.   As a case in point, one of the movies near the bottom of my list this year is considered one of the greatest films of all time, but it nearly put me to sleep.   And at the top is a movie with humor that I wouldn’t let my kids or my parents watch, but had me nearly crying I was laughing so hard.   I put together the list mostly because I’m a bit obsessive about things that involve rankings or lists of some sort, but also because I like hearing other people’s opinions of films.   It’s always interesting to see what other people think about movies.   Last year the movie I caught the most grief about was Twilight.   I had it ranked low on my list, b