Skip to main content

2009-2010 Movie List

For those of you I haven’t sent this to before, this is my fifth annual ranking of every movie I watched in the past year.  For me, the calendar year starts at the beginning of the summer and runs through the end of the school year.  The list isn’t necessarily ranked by how good a movie is, but rather how much I enjoyed watching the movie.  As a case in point, one of the movies near the bottom of my list this year is considered one of the greatest films of all time, but it nearly put me to sleep.  And at the top is a movie with humor that I wouldn’t let my kids or my parents watch, but had me nearly crying I was laughing so hard.  I put together the list mostly because I’m a bit obsessive about things that involve rankings or lists of some sort, but also because I like hearing other people’s opinions of films.  It’s always interesting to see what other people think about movies.  Last year the movie I caught the most grief about was Twilight.  I had it ranked low on my list, but just the fact that I watched it was enough for people to give me a hard time.  So please feel free to reply, and comment on my comments – even if you totally disagree with me – in fact that’s part of the point.  Also, feel free to add anyone to the email thread that I forgot to put on the distribution list.  When I first did this 5 years ago it was literally just a list, in order, of the movies.  Last year the whole thing became a 9 page two-part email, and this year’s is 5 pages long and I’m only halfway done.

    This ended up being a great movie year for me – probably the best since I started doing my rankings.  For one, I had a free year of HBO, so I was able to watch a few more movies and series that I wouldn’t have otherwise.  Second, I watched a lot of movies this year – 60, and that includes several whole series.  And finally, there were more good movies this year, and fewer bad ones.  Most years there are 7-10 movies in my top category, “Movies I Loved”.  This year there are 19.  So all in all, it was a great movie year for me.  Enough with the rambling – here is the list, in reverse order. 
Movies I couldn’t finish

60. Bruno.  Sascha Baron Cohen’s follow-up to Borat.  To give you some perspective, a couple years ago Borat was in my top 5 movies of the year.  I loved it – there are only a handful of movies where I’ve laughed harder.  Take everything that was painful to watch about Borat, and then make it not funny, and you’ve got Bruno.

59. Australia – I didn’t give this movie much of a chance.  I’m not sure why I even rented it, except that it got fairly good reviews.  The first 20 minutes or so were about as interesting as watching paint dry.

58. Happy Go Lucky – British movie.  The Oregonian loved this movie.  It’s about a woman who is happy-go-lucky.  Or something like that.  I wouldn’t know, because I stopped watching after 30 minutes.  It made me realize that British chick-flicks are just as bad as American ones.

57. Reservation Road – A normal guy (Mark Ruffalo) runs over a kid and kills him while driving his own son home from a baseball game, but leaves the scene without doing anything.  It seemed like it would be the kind of movie that would be interesting enough, but leave you feeling like you got punched in the stomach after watching it.  I am not a big fan of these movies already, but when the guy who ran over the kid gets hired as the lawyer to help solve the case, I couldn’t watch anymore.  Really?  You had to go that over the top to make the movie interesting?

56. Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans – Another movie that I watched because it got good reviews.  I guess I’ve liked a few movies Nick Cage has been in, but I can think of about 10 bad ones he’s been in for every good one.  If I really wanted to watch something about a shady cop I could watch a much better version of it by renting a season of the Shield.  Or The Wire.  Or NYPD Blue.  Or just about any other cop TV show. 

55. The Bicycle Thief – This is considered one of the greatest movies of all-time.  But for as much as I love all kinds of movies, I have to admit that most of the time when I go back and watch movies more that about 25 years old that are considered “classics”, I find them boring.  There are a few exceptions (Dr. Strangelove is one of my  top 10 of all time), but usually if I have the choice between watching an older classic (like the Bicycle Thief) and a newer, thoroughly mediocre movie (like Sherlock Holmes), I’ll pop this one out after 30 minutes and watch the newer one.  Which is what I did.
Big Letdowns
54. A Serious Man – There wasn’t a movie that I watched all of this year that I enjoyed less.  The only reason I watched the whole thing is that it was a best picture nominee, and I wanted to be able to say I’d seen the whole thing.  I consider the Cohen brothers to be some of the best directors alive.  They’ve made an incredibly diverse catalog of interesting movies, from No Country for Old Men to The Big Lebowski.  But this movie sucks.  Totally depressing and pointless.  I didn’t hate it as much as I hated Synechoche, NY, which was my bottom ranked movie last year, but it was one of two movies this year that I was angry after watching.

53. Observe and Report – This was the other movie that made me angry.  Seth Rogen plays an angry mall cop (not to be confused with Mall Cop, where Kevin James, another fat guy plays a bumbling mall cop).  There’s a scene in the movie where Rogen’s character tries to get a job as a cop, and goes totally wacko in the psychiatric evaluation part of the interview.  So one of the cops has a couple of co-workers hide in the closet to listen while he tells Rogen he’s not going to get the job because they think it should be pretty funny.  After a few minutes of Rogen breaking down when he get the news, the other cops walk out of the closet and say “I thought this was going to be funny, but it’s just sad.”  That perfectly summed up how I felt about the movie. 

52. Eastbound & Down – The First Season.  In this HBO series, Danny McBride (who can be great) plays a failed major league baseball player that can’t let go of his past and is now working as a long-term substitute gym teacher.  It is a promising premise, but I disliked it for the same reason I didn’t like Observe and Report.  When you hate the protagonist, it’s hard to enjoy the movie (or show, in this case).  Sometimes these kinds of characters can be watchable if they are a lovable loser (like Michael Scott from The Office), or an antihero that is just too compelling to take your eyes off (Tyler Durden in Fight Club, Vic Mackey in The Shield).  But when you just flat-out dislike the main character, well, what’s the point of watching? 

Not as good as they should have been

51. The Informant – Matt Damon was nominated for Best Actor for his role in this.  To me, it was one of those movies where you watch the whole thing and say “really?  That’s it? “  It’s not awful, it just isn’t very interesting.  This came out around the same time as Up in the Air, and both received award nominations, so I sort of associate the two movies with each other.  Not much happens in that movie either, but Up in the Air has everything that makes a film enjoyable to watch that this one lacks.

50. 9 – Animated movie that looks really cool in the previews.  Weird creatures inhabit some sort of futuristic post-apocalyptic world.  But the story is a mess.  It seems like the kind of movie I would have made when I was in high school if I’d been given a $20 million budget to make an animated movie.  And that’s not a compliment.
You’ve Seen This Movie Before
49. Bedtime Stories – Adam Sandler plays an uncle or a friend that babysits, or something like that, and every night he makes up a bedtime story, and the next day whatever he says in the story comes true, although not always in the way you’d expect.  Watched it with the kids.  It made me smile at times.  No surprises.

48. Ransom – Mel Gibson movie where his kid gets snatched, and he tries to track down the abductors.  This is an older movie that I got sucked into watching on TV.  It was entertaining enough that I didn’t stop watching, but I think that every year someone makes a movie with some version of this plot.  Maybe because a movie where the kid is abducted and they just find the dead kid’s body in the forest wouldn’t do quite as well at the box office.

47. Eagle Eye – Another movie I watched on HBO.  Fairly entertaining but not memorable at all.  There is some sort of giant conspiracy causing Shia LeBouff to run around a lot.  I find it kind of depressing that I even know who Shia LeBouff is.

46. Crazy Heart – I rented this movie because Jeff Bridges (aka The Dude in Big Lebowski) won best actor for this role as a washed up country singer.  And he is great.  What I forgot is A) I hate country music, B) Maggie Gyllenhall (who almost ruined my favorite movie from last year, The Dark Knight) plays the love interest, and C) Colin Farrell, who also sucks, plays a big name country music star.  Dislike A ended up not being so bad, because the music is by the awesome T-Bone Burnett, who did the music for O Brother Where Art Though.  That wasn’t enough to overcome the sea hag Maggie Gyllenhall and the fact that we were supposed to believe an Irish guy with a ponytail was massively popular country musician.  On top of that, the movie feels like about an hour of the story got edited out, and they just put in a screen that says “16 Months Later…” and all of a sudden everything is different.  The Dude is the only thing that keeps this from going lower.
45. Earth – If you haven’t seen any of Planet Earth, then this would be a spectacular movie.  The only problem is, I’ve seen every episode of Planet Earth multiple times, and for this movie they tried to repackage it as a new movie, when really it was just the same footage from the series.  Really you’re much better off just watching the individual episodes.
No surprises, but still fun to watch
44. Sherlock Holmes – Lots of action, Robert Downey Jr. is fun to watch, and all in all it is entertaining if you have low expectations, which I did.  It is a little hard to believe the Holmes character because he’s basically Steven Segal as a fighter with the Rain Man’s attention to details, so that keeps it from being any higher on the list.
43. Role Models – A couple of guys, including Paul Rudd (who is always fun) get in trouble and get assigned community service hours working as Big Brothers for troubled kids, one of whom is the kid that plays McLovin in Superbad.  If you watch this movie you will laugh, and then forget almost everything that happens in it within an hour.

42.5 Monsters vs. Aliens – In my top 20 movies this year are three “kids” movies that I actually watched without my kids and loved.  This movie doesn’t meet those kinds of standards – it’s a good family movie, entertaining and fun, but not much past that.  You wouldn’t really want to watch it if you weren’t watching it with kids.

42. Friday Night Lights: The First Season – For years I’ve had a bunch of people tell me I needed to start watching this show.  And I’ve always wanted to.  For one thing, it’s created by Peter Berg, who graduated from Macalester College (my alma matter), so it’s got that going for it.  And the plot sounds like something I should love – it’s about a high school football team, but it’s about a lot more than football.  In the first game of the season the star quarterback with the cheerleader girlfriend gets paralyzed.  The team falls just short of the championship.  There is white-black tension within the team.  A few games into the season an incredibly talented quarterback comes to the school after being displaced by Hurricane Katrina, but everything about him coming is a little shady.  Great story lines, and all believable stuff.  But I just couldn’t get into it.  It was a little too corny, and a little too predictable for me, which is too bad because I really wanted to like the series.  I still haven’t ruled out watching more episodes this summer though.

41. The Omega Man – Those of you that have read this list of reviews for the last couple years are aware of my enjoyment of vampire and zombie movies.  It was bad enough that I even watched the first Twilight movie, which is the kind of drivel I normally hate.  Well, one vampire/zombie movie that I was intrigued by a couple years ago was I Am Legend with Will Smith – a movie that had some great scenes, but was ultimately disappointing.  This led me to read the book the movie is based on by Peter Mathwick, which is fantastic.  And then I found out that I Am Legend was actually the third movie adaptation of the book.  The first was called The Last Man on Earth, starring Vincent Price.  I watched it last year, and it was comically bad.  The second adaptation was this one, The Omega Man, starring Charlton Heston.  Of the three, this is probably closest to the book, but still diverges significantly.  It made me wonder: If this book is so great (which it is) that they keep making movie versions of it, why does every version diverge so significantly from the original story?  Another interesting thought about the movies is looking at the leading men in the different generations.  It is a story where there is only one person left on Earth, so it has to be an actor that can carry the movie without other characters to dialogue with.  So in each generation we get a different version of the iconic leading man  – Vincent Price, Charlton Heston, and now Will Smith – all very different, but all probably emblematic of the leading man role for their era.  These reviews are getting way too long for movies this far down on the list.  Is anyone still reading?

40. Away We Go – Maya Rudolph and Jim from the Office (I can’t spell his real name, and don’t really care what it is, for that matter) play a pregnant couple that travels around the country visiting friends and trying to decide where they want to settle down to live.  Funny at times, and warm at times, but never really hilarious or touching.  I had high expectations for this since I saw it in the theater, but only mildly enjoyed it, partly because all the supporting characters are just a little too over the top, including the Sea Hag.

39. Bored to Death – HBO series, starring Jason Schwartzman as a guy who gets dumped by his girlfriend and decides to start working on the side as an unlicensed private detective.  Schwartzman is pretty good.  His boss is played by Ted Danson, who is ok.  But his best friend is played by Zach Gallifanakis (the guys with the beard from The Hangover), who is pretty much the funniest person alive right now.  A decent show, which could be great if Gallifanakis played a bigger role.

38. I Love You, Man – Paul Rudd plays a guy that is getting married, and realizes that he doesn’t really have any male friends close enough to be his best man.  During his friend search he ends up hitting it off with a slacker played by Jason Segall.  Not groundbreaking stuff, but it works in all the ways that Away We Go doesn’t.  The characters are just more fun, and the movie ended up being a pleasant surprise.

37. Defiance – A group of Jews, led by Liev Scrieber and James Bond (well, the guy who plays James Bond, at least) form a resistance group that hides out in the forest and struggles to survive while periodically fighting off the Germans.  Interesting and entertaining.

36. Taken – Last year’s version of the Mel Gibson/Ransom story.  This time it is Liam Neeson’s daughter who gets kidnapped, and he gets to go kick some ass to get her back.  I have to admit that I enjoyed watching it.  Every time I see a movie with Liam Neeson I can’t help but think of the episode of Seinfeld where Jerry tries to argue with George that Liam Neeson is more famous than John Voigt.

35. Year One – In almost every Jack Black movie I’ve seen, I’ve been a little disappointed that he isn’t quite as funny as I thought he would be.  I mean he seems like he should be hilarious – he’s got great energy, he’s fat, both key elements for being funny.  But even in movies I’ve liked, he has never been quite as funny as I thought he should be.  So in this, I wasn’t expecting him to be that great, and I ended up being pleasantly surprised.  Michael Cera plays his sidekick, and he’s another one of those guys who always plays the same character but I still enjoy it.  Not a great film, but fun, nonetheless.

34. Terminator Salvation – The first two movies in the Terminator series were science fiction classics.  The third one, not so much, although it does have an epic chase scene.  I thought this one was an improvement over T3, but still not close to the first two.  Dark and intense, but not a bad rental if you’re looking for an entertaining action movie.

33. Land of the Lost – I won’t try to defend this movie on any artistic merit.  It stars Will Ferrell, and I love Will Ferrell.  I think he’s hilarious in almost anything he does.  It also has Danny McBride, who is pretty funny here.  If you aren’t a Will Ferrell fan, then this probably isn’t for you. 

32. State of Play – Ben Affleck plays a senator running for President.  Things are going well for him, but then his secretary, who also happens to be his mistress gets murdered.  His buddy from college happens to be Russell Crowe, a prominent journalist, who gets enlisted to help solve the case.  I’ve always kind of liked movies where the reporter is trying to uncover some mystery and gets involved in the case, and this one is a fun watch.

31. Blood Simple – Every year it seems I go back and watch a couple of older Cohen Brothers films.  This year after watching A Serious Man (which, as I mentioned before, sucked big time), I went back and watched No Country For Old Men, and then this one.  Blood Simple was one of their earlier films, which I hadn’t seen before.  A lot of themes that you see in their later films are present in this one.  In all of their movies there seems to be some sort of simple man that gets in over his head, and makes a series of bad decisions that become progressively worse, usually resulting in at least one dead body.  Most of their movies seem to have a feeling of encroaching doom, where you can just tell it isn’t going to end well for anyone involved.  And in a Cohen Brothers movie, it almost always does end badly for all involved.  If you are a Cohen Brothers fan this is one you should see.
Movies I really enjoyed
30. (500) Days of Summer  - This is quite simply a charming movie.  It’s a relationship movie, but it doesn’t fit the standard Hollywood rom-com mold.  Joseph Gordon-Leavitt is an actor for some reason I always expect not to like, but this movie made me realize I really enjoy him.  He’s perfect in this as a guy that’s alternately exhilarated and depressed by a relationship.  My only complaint – I just don’t like Zoey Deschannel.  She’s the opposite of Gordon-Leavitt for me.  She seems to always play the fun, slightly offbeat girlfriend and I think I’m going to like her, but she always ends up annoying me. 
29. Half Nelson – This was a movie I couldn’t decide where to rank – it could’ve easily been several spots higher.  It’s a movie about a junior high teacher in an urban school that is passionate, if slightly disorganized.  He forms a close bond with a sweet girl that is being pulled by some bad influences in her life, such as an older friend that is a drug dealer.  It has terrific acting, and is really compelling stuff, because as he’s trying to steer this girl along the right path, he’s also spiraling into his own drug addiction.  It’s a movie that doesn’t have a clear story arc, so we don’t really get things wrapped up neatly, but maybe that’s part of what makes it good.
28. The Warriors – Serious blast from the past.  I don’t know what year this movie was made (late 70’s?), but from almost any boy growing up in the 80’s this was a classic guy movie.  I still remember watching it with David Rider when we were in 7th grade, and saying wow – that was one badass movie.  I actually remember almost being a little bit scared by it – at the time it just seemed really edgy.  So I went back and watched it 20 years later to see if it was as cool as I remembered, and you know what?  It was still really fun.  Some of the gangs that seemed kind of scary to me, like the Baseball Furies seemed mostly comical now.  But it was still great fun seeing the Warriors fight their way back home across New York with every gang in town trying to bring them down.  Warriors, Warriors, come out to play….
27. Che: Part Two
26. Che: Part One  I’ll talk about these movies together since they are really just two parts of one movie.  I am somewhat ashamed to admit that I don’t know all that much about Che Guevara, so I’m not sure if they are historically accurate or not, but from what I read, they mostly are.  These were very interesting, if a bit long, movies.  Benicio Del Torro is really good, and I thought he was a great fit in this role.  Since I didn’t know many details about Guevara’s involvement in the Cuban revolution, it was a fascinating story for me to watch.  Part one is mostly about Cuba, but part two follows his story into Bolivia.  I didn’t really know anything about what happened in Bolivia, so again, it was really interesting to watch the story unfold.  I’d be interested in the perspective of one of the social studies teachers on what they thought of this movie. 
25. The Pacific This is basically the sequel to Band of Brothers.  It follows a group of marines through the campaign in the South Pacific during WWII.  It was both entertaining and interesting.  Again, it was a piece of history that I didn’t know a ton about, and I felt like it definitely made me appreciate the sacrifice these soldiers made for our country.  It was particularly interesting for me because my grandfather was stationed in Guam during WWII.  At the same time I didn’t think the characters were quite as compelling or well developed as they were in Band of Brothers.
24. Flight of the Conchords: The Second Season  Last year I watched season one, and loved it.  While the second season wasn’t quite as good, I thought it was great fun, and was quite disappointed to hear that they weren’t going to make a third season.  If you aren’t familiar with the show, it follows a pair of friends/roommates from New Zealand that are in a band that only has one fan, and she is obsessed with them.  The whole show is very absurd, and the humor is pretty dry, but it is great summer Netflix material.
23. Life As long as we’re on the subject of series, I might as well throw in this one.  In this case, it is essential the sequel to Planet Earth.  And it is spectacular at times – the footage they capture is unlike any other – such as seeing a pair of cheetahs hunting and catching an ostrich, or 300,000 monarch butterflies taking flight in a Mexican forest.  Truly breathtaking.  But again, it doesn’t quite capture the magic of the original series for me, and maybe that’s just because it isn’t the original.  Oprah Winfrey just didn’t really do it for me as a narrator either.  I’ll probably buy the British version of it when it comes out on DVD.
22. Gran Torino – I think Clint Eastwood is 104 years old now, but it is great to see that the old man can still bring it.  This was a movie that the previews totally undersold for me.  Based on the previews I expected the movie to essentially be “Grumpy old man lives in neighborhood being taken over by minorities.  He gets angry, but eventually befriends them, and finds redemption.”  And I guess  in some ways it is that story, but it is told well, and it is a lot more powerful than I expected it to be.  It seems as though at the end of his career Clint as an actor has played roles that are much more human and in a way turn on their heads the stereotypes of the Dirty Harry and Man With No Name characters he played in his early carrer.
21. Coraline – Wow, what a beautiful movie.  I wish I’d seen this one in 3-D in the theater, because the animation was amazing to look at.  I started to watch this movie, planning to just preview a bit of it to see if my kids would like it, but then I got totally sucked in and watched the whole thing.  On top of that, it’s supposedly a kids movie, but I actually wouldn’t let my kids watch it.  It’s pretty dark, and while its not violent at all, the stuff that goes on with Coraline’s parents I think would be pretty unsettling to younger kids.  Some years this would’ve been in my top 10 movies. 
20. No Country for Old Men – Not worth discussing this movie too in depth, because we’ve discussed it to death each of the last two years.  When I watched it for the first time two years ago, I didn’t really like it, but realized that it was an amazing movie.  Last summer I watched it again, and had an even greater appreciation for it.  So much so that it ended up being in my top 30 movies of the decade list (yes, I made a list for that too).  The only reason it’s not higher here is that I wanted to save the top spots for movies that actually came out in the past year, and it was a movie I’d already seen.
Movies I Loved
19. Inglorious Basterds – Speaking of movies that seemed lame in the previews but were actually terrific, this one takes the cake.  In the previews I thought the movie was just going to be Brad Pitt, The Nazi Hunter, taking out bad guys in violent fashion while talking with a funny accent.  On top of that I really disliked the last two Tarrantino movies (Kill Bill and Death Proof).  I thought this one got back to what made some of his earlier movies good.  The Brad Pitt gang is a big part of the movie, but there is a whole different plot line that is even more interesting.  But the best part of the movie, without a doubt, is Christopher Waltz, an actor that I didn’t know at all before this, who won best supporting actor for his role.  He is sadistically amazing.
18. The Cove – After you watch this movie, you will never look at a captive dolphin the same way.  It is a documentary that tries to uncover a dolphin slaughter that occurs in Japan.  Even though it is a documentary it plays like a suspense or detective movie, as the filmmakers try to set up cameras to film the alleged slaughter in the heavily guarded cove.  The team is led by Ric O’Barry, who a former trainer for the TV show Flipper who has now dedicated himself saving dolphins.  I was both deeply saddened and infuriated after watching the movie.
17. The Curious Case of Benjamin Button – People that I’ve talked to about this movie seemed to really like it or really hate it.  I think the best word I can use to describe it is charming.  It is a bit slow, and obviously a story about someone that ages in reverse isn’t totally realistic, but I just found it to be a touching story.  Brad Pitt and Cate Blanchett spend most of their lives either too old or too young for each other, but keep being pulled together.  I thought it was terrific.  On a side note, how great is Cate Blanchett?  I think she may be my favorite current actress, and she always seems to pick good roles.
16.5 The Fantastic Mr. Fox – Why the 16.5?  I forgot about this when I initially made the list because I saw this one in the theater with my kids.  Rather than being a kids movie that adults might enjoy, this is actually an adult’s movie that kids might enjoy.  For starters, it is based on one of my favorite kid’s books, by the incomparable Roald Dahl.  It is almost worth having kids just so you can read Roald Dahl books to them.  Plus it is directed by my current favorite director, Wes Anderson.  It diverges significantly from the book, but it is soooo much fun.  George Clooney is perfect as the voice of Mr. Fox.
16. An Education Every one of these movies in the top group is so good, it has been impossible for me to come up with a perfect ranking.  Again, this could be 10 spots higher – it was such an interesting movie.  It is a British movie, and everything about it is spot on.  The acting is spectacular.  The character development is great. The dialogue is great.  And while the pacing is deliberately slow, I wasn’t bored for a second.  If you are the kind of person that likes sequels, remakes, and ‘splosions (basically, summer movies), you won’t like this.  But if you like good movies you will. 
15. The Blind Side Let me get all the reasons not to like this out of the way.  It is very much a ‘feel good’ Hollywood movie.  It is predictable.  It stars Sandra Bullock, who is not exactly known for choosing great films.  It is sappy.  I don’t care – I loved it.  There is a reason Sandra Bullock won best actress – she nailed this role.  The fact that it is a true story, and the main character is currently kicking butt in the NFL makes it even better.  After seeing previews for this, I fully expected it to be in the “You’ve Already Seen This Movie” category, but it has a heart that makes it tough not to enjoy. 
14. Adventureland – I haven’t talked to a single person that didn’t enjoy this one.  It’s the story of a bunch of college-age kids working during the summer at a theme park.  All of the supporting characters are fun, and it is a terrific summer-coming-of-age story.  It should tell you something about the state of our country that movies like this are only moderately successful while movies like Old Dogs (From the people that brought you Wild Hogs!) make billions.
13. The Hurt Locker – While I was a little surprised this won best picture, it is a terrific movie.  Not necessarily fun to watch, but very compelling.  It gives a great glimpse into the insanity of life for soldiers working as bomb disposal experts in Iraq.  At first I didn’t like the fact that the end is a little ambiguous, and that you don’t really know how or when things actually end for this guy, or if the whole saga just keeps going until eventually he dies.  But then I realized, “Oh, kind of like the whole war in Iraq!”  Everyone says that the movie isn’t really a commentary in any way on the war, but I wouldn’t necessarily say it’s not.
12. Up – This was my favorite kids movie of the year.  I watched it twice, and it is good enough that I would have seen it even if I didn’t have kids.  Like the best of the Pixar movies, it is entertaining, looks great, and has incredible heart.  If you didn’t like the last couple Pixar movies like Ratatouille and The Incredibles, then you might not like this.  But that would also officially make you a curmudgeon.  For my boys (9 and 5), this was probably their favorite movie this year.
11. Star Trek – Most of you probably saw this in the theater last year, but I didn’t get around to seeing it on DVD until last June.  I’ve never been a huge Star Trek fan (I’m a Star Wars guy through and through), but this was undeniably fun.  If only all Summer Movies were this good.  Fast, fun, cool special effects, but not dumb, either, which sets it apart from the Jerry Bruckheimer/Michael Bay movies that usually come out in late May or early June.
10. District 9 – Science fiction is probably one of my favorites, if not my favorite genre.  In addition to being an excuse to showcase great special effects and show off creative ideas for gadgets, the best ones often explore some significant moral and social issues.  The bad ones, of course are just about blowing stuff up in outer space, but some of the good ones like Gattaca or even the first Terminator movie get you to think about possible futures and extensions of the moral choices we are making now with our technology.  District 9 is great because while it does have good special effects (those weapons are frickin’ awesome!) and great acting, this movie is ultimately a social commentary.  Aliens arrive on Earth, but end up being put into a ghetto in South Africa that looks a lot like, well, the real ghettos in South Africa.  The heart of the movie is the lead actor, Sharlto Copley, who I’d never heard of before, and he gives what I thought might’ve been the best performance in any movie all year.  His transformation from weasely bureaucrat to something completely different is spectacular.  If you like sci-fi movies at all, you should love this one. 
9. The Road – I’m not sure if I loved this movie because I loved the book so much, or because the movie itself was really good.  The book, by Cormac McCarthy, is one of my favorites.  It paints a stark, post-apocalyptic world where we’re never told what destroyed the world, we just know that there isn’t much left.  The setting and the story are harsh, stark, and hard to watch at times.  But what made the story (and the movie) so great for me is the relationship between the father and son trying to survive in the world.  Literally everything else in the world that is good has been stripped away, but their relationship and love for each other keeps them alive.  Somehow the story manages to be tragic and depressing and beautiful and hopeful at the same time.
8. Up In The Air – There isn’t a better movie star right now than George Clooney.  He has it.  Women think he’s attractive.  He seems like the kind of guy that it would be fun to hang out and have a beer with.  He has an incredible charisma that just lights up the screen in whatever role he plays.  In the wrong hands this movie could have been a snooze fest, but with Clooney and a great supporting cast it ended up being a deserving Best Picture nominee. 
7. Where the Wild Things Are – At #12 I said that Up was my favorite kid’s movie of the year, but I have this one ranked at #7.  That’s because this isn’t a kid’s movie.  Yes, it is based on one of the greatest kid’s books of all time, but I went to see it without my kids, and I don’t think they would’ve liked it if they had seen it.  Visually, it is incredible, and I felt like they did a great job of re-creating the world of the Wild Things.  The film works on a couple of levels, but ultimately the story is about Max’s imagination, and every one of the Wild Things represents some aspect of Max’s personality or someone that is an important part of his life.  This isn’t a movie for kids, but rather a movie for the parents who have read Where the Wild Things Are to their own kids.
6. Sugar – This movie is directed by the same people that made Half Nelson.  It is the story of a baseball player from the Dominican Republic, and his journey trying to make it to the big leagues.  This was probably my favorite sports movie of the past 10 years, but you certainly don’t have to be a sports fan to enjoy it.  This is a story about immigration, it is a story about pursuing your dreams, and I think it is safe to say that it is different than almost any other baseball movie I’ve ever seen.  It’s not a true story, but it almost feels like you are watching a documentary it feels so real. 
5. Waltz With Bashir – This is an animated movie and sort of a documentary.  The film follows the director’s journey to uncover what happened one night in 1982 when militia members slaughtered 3,000 Palestinian refugees in Beirut.  The director was one of the soldiers that night, but two decades later he can’t remember what happened.  Through a series of interviews and surreal flashbacks he uncovers what happened and will haunt him for the rest of his life.  Not the kind of film you watch on family movie night, but this is an incredible movie. 
4. Zombieland – If my number one movie goes down as the funniest movie of the year, this one goes down as the most fun.  It’s a movie that doesn’t take itself seriously, and keeps you smiling the whole time.  I think zombies have replaced vampires as my new favorite monsters.  Don’t go into this expecting a great piece of cinema (and really, with a name like Zombieland, who would?) and you will be entertained from start to finish.  The celebrity zombie cameo alone makes this movie worth watching.
3. Moon – At #2 on my list is one of the most spectacular, expensive, visually stunning science fiction movies ever made.  This one, while being a science fiction movie, is the exact opposite.  It is a stark film that has no special effects and really only one actor, Sam Rockwell.  Mysterious, creepy, suspenseful, and even a little poignant, this movie goes down as the most pleasant surprise of the year.  Rockwell plays a guy working at a remote station on the moon, and other than that, I don’t want to say any more about the plot because it is great going in knowing nothing about the movie.  Great stuff.
2. Avatar – I have some reservations about putting this movie so high on my list.  It’s probably the same reason it didn’t win best picture.  The story, while entertaining, is pretty run of the mill.  But it was entertaining.  And to worry too much about the story misses the point – this was a movie visually unlike anything we have ever seen.  Every decade or so we get a science fiction movie that redefines special effects, and changes the way movies are made.  After Star Wars and The Matrix, there were countless movies that imitated their look and their style.  I have no doubt that this will be that movie for the next decade.  The world of Avatar was so incredible to look at I felt like my jaw was on the floor for half the movie.  The 3-D effects and creativity of the creatures and world were so spectacular it was hard to believe.
1 The Hangover.– For the past year at school we’ve seen numerous skits copying the storyline from this movie.  We’ve seen Mayfete lines taken from the script.  People quote the movie all the time, and when I was collecting money for our class field trip this year, I had more than one student ask me if I was keeping the money for a trip to Vegas.  Why?  Because this was not only the most quoted but also the funniest movie of the year.  Borat was the last movie that made me laugh this hard this frequently.  Zach Gallifinakis has taken the throne from Will Ferrell for me of funniest guy alive.  This is not a great film.  It is not especially unique or creative.  But I love funny movies, and this was the funniest one I’ve seen in years. 
 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2023/2024 Movie List

  A complete ranking of every movie I watched in the last calendar year (starting in June). 44. 65 65 is a sci-fi adventure starring Adam Driver as an astronaut that crash lands on a distant planet that looks a lot like Earth, only with dinosaurs. It turns out that the planet actually is Earth! It turns out Driver and his companion (a 12 year old girl whose family is killed when the ship crashes) are actually from a distant planet 65 million years ago, and they happened to crash on Earth. And they also look, talk, and act exactly like modern humans. What are the odds?! It’s the type of movie where Driver and the girl don’t speak the same language, but after a day of hiking together she basically understands and can talk in English, just in short, grammatically incorrect sentences. The kind of movie where people get pierced by metal and thrown against rocks by giant dinosaurs, but are able to shake it off and heal a couple minutes later. I shouldn’t have been surprised because I kind o

2022/2023 Movie List

  2023 was a good year for watching movies and shows. I watched a total of 52 movies this year, and more than 40 of them were ones I enjoyed. There were also a dozen different shows that I watched this year, and for the first time I ranked the shows as well.  On to the list! 50. I only have 49 new movies on the list this year, but the type of person that would rank every movie they watch is also the type of person that would much rather have their list start at 50 instead of 49, so I’m going to use this spot to mention the Best Picture nominees that I didn’t see this year. I watched 7 of the 10 nominees, but the ones I didn’t see were:  1) The Fablemans, which I’ve heard was decent, but really just did not look interesting at all to me. 2) Avatar, which I wanted to see in the theater, but never got around to it, and 3) Women Talking, which says right in the title, is about people sitting around talking, which does not seem like it could possibly be entertaining. I’ll probably watch al

2006-2007 Movie List

  Really Good Movies 1) Stranger Than Fiction – I’ve only found a couple people that like this as much as I do, but I love Will Ferrell, and thought this was a really creative movie. 2. The Departed 3. Munich 4. Babel – Except for the parts in Japan –I thought that girl was creepy. 5. The Office: Season One.   I didn’t get into this show until the end of the first season, so this was a great way to get caught up.   Best comedy on TV since Seinfeld.   Good movies – the movies in this category aren’t totally in order, but I liked all of them. 6. 40 year old virgin 7. Déjà vu 8. Fight Club (I’d already seen it) 9. Anchorman (ditto) 10. Undeclared – TV series by Jud Apatow, the guy that did 40 year old virgin, Freaks and Geeks, Anchorman, Knocked Up, etc. 11. The Constant Gardener 12. The Chronicles of Narnia 13. Thin Red Line 14. Grizzly Man 15. Glory Road 16. Minnesota Twins World Series Highlights – does it get any better than game 6 of the ’9